Saturday, October 9, 2010

Bringing our Children to Christ

The following quotes are by Charlotte Mason, an educator from the early 1900's.  She loved the LORD and she loved children and I have found her work inspiring.  I have read and reread A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola.  The following two quotes come from chapter 2 of that book. 

"To bring the human race, family by family, child by child, out of the savage and inhuman desolation where He is not, into the light and warmth and comfort of the presence of God, is no doubt, the chief thing we have to do in the world.  And this individual work with each child, being the most momentous work in the world, is put into the hands of the  wisest, most loving, disciplined and divinely instructed of human beings.   Be ye perfect as your Father is perfect, is the perfection of parenthood, perhaps to be attained in its fullness only through parenthood.  There are a few mistaken parents, ignorant parents, a few indifferent parents, even one in a thousand, callous parents; but the good that is done upon the earth is done, under God, by parents, whether directly or indirectly.  The highest duty imposed upon him, it is also the most delicate; and he will have infinite humility, gentleness, love, and sound judgement, if he would present his child to God and the thought of God to the soul of his child.                                               --Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children


Let us save Christianity for our children by bringing them into allegiance to Christ the King.  How?  How did the old Cavaliers bring up sons and daughters, in passionate loyalty and reverence for not too worthy princes?  Their own hearts were full of it; their lips spake it; their acts proclaimed it; their style of clothes, all was one proclamation of the boundless devotion to their king and his cause.  That civil war, whatever else it did, or missed doing, left a parable for Christian people.  If a Stewart prince could command such measure of loyalty, what shall we say of 'the Chief amongst ten thousand, the altogether lovely?'"                                                                    --Charlotte Mason, Home Education


Lord, I bring them to you today,
These children you've entrusted to me.
All that I do and all that I say,
Reflected in what they will be.


Alone, I surely will fail them here,
These children you've entrusted to me.
I am not apt or able, I fear,
To fulfill all they need me to be.


Lord, I'm counting on you to give
These children you've entrusted to me-
A heart that is clean and ready to live,
A life that is fruitful and free.


I'm also willing to learn because
These children you've entrusted to me
Will sooner believe and seek to obey
A God they have known here through me.
                                       --Patti Lofgren


Painting above by William Adolphe Bougoureau


2 comments: